Re: [NTLK] Euro Symbol

From: Sean Luke (sean_at_cs.gmu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 10:13:53 EST

On Thursday, January 24, 2002, at 08:01 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> I have tried it and what I've got was a quotation mark. Does this have
> to =
> do with my german NOS 2.1?

Yes. The US MacRoman Keyboard has the little circle symbol on
shift-option-2.
But other languages use other keyboards, of course. You'll have to hunt
around
to find it on the German keyboard perhaps. It looks like a circle with
four
diagonal lines coming out of it. A (poorly shown) version of the symbol
is labeled "DB" on the following chart:
http://czyborra.com/charsets/mac-roman.gif

This symbol has been replaced by Apple with the Euro symbol in modern
Macintosh computers. It was NOT replaced in the Newton, simply because
the
Newton wasn't being manufactured by Apple any more.

If someone wants to add the Euro symbol to the standard fonts, and
someone else
can show them how to replace a single glyph (I doubt that's even
possible --
more likely you'll need to replace the whole font, which breaks some apps
such as NewtWorks) then this is the particular glyph you should replace.

Sean