Re: [NTLK] Mac OS X, Newton Toolkit, PortShare, IMDb ebook

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 17:19:45 EST

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:

> > >It already exists and is called TCPSerial. That's what I use to get NTK
> > >running under Mac OS X. It can be found on a number of Mac download
> > >sites, e.g. here:
> > >
> > >http://allmacintosh.ii.net/preview/2338.html
> >
> >This is just too simple. Thanks for pointing this out Eckhart. We must
> >remember to add this to the FAQ.
>
> So would it be possible to use TCPSerial in combination with UnixNPI and
> get package installations over Ethernet without using Classic?
>
> 'twould be cool.

My ears pricked up at this. What is TCPSerial exactly?

(goes and reads about it)

Ah. Okay. So it provides a virtual serial port on your Mac that listens
on a TCP port and shuffles data. Neat. Actually, for this you could use
UnixNPI on one end and TT's TCP/IP transport on the Newton, and from the
sounds of it you're talking about OS X connections. Yeah, I guess that
would work.