Re: [NTLK] shot logger

From: doppler (doppler_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 08:46:26 EST

Christopher Plummer [plumcakes_at_mac.com] wrote the following 2002-01-27
08.27:

> I was the one who asked about it originally. I did some extra research
> and found a couple places that use it. One was not for sale. I
> contacted the other and they offered to sell it for $4000 - that's 3
> zeros. Not exactly in the budget of a film student.

4000 _is_ a rip-off!

i think it is offered from the shot logger site for $1000 now, but i guess
you can negotiate the price. this new price includes a homeRF base station
and a PCMCIA card for the newton.

> I was later
> informed by a friend that dv and minidv can have a memory chip that
> basically does the same thing for a few bucks more per dv tape.

sure, but then you cant add notes and keep track of scenes at the same time.
ive never used this software, but it seems to have some advantages over the
chip solution you mention.

> Now
> Shotlogger seems out of date and expensive.

i dont know. for a pro, its probably little money, but not everyone can
shelve up $1000 for a specific task. (im not a pro, anyway)

out of date, i wouldnt agree. just imagine the overview you can have in the
newtons large screen!

also, if you use the newtons communcations abilities, the post production
team will have access to the same info as you have instantly. this is a
great advantage.

doppler