Re: [NTLK] MP2100 homebrew overclock

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 09:12:28 EST

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, doppler wrote:

> speedy2 [speedy2_at_dag.net] wrote the following 2002-01-27 06.49:
>
> > These are your Newtons, feel free to do what you wish, but as an
> > Electrical Engineer and a hardware designer, overclocking is like playing
> > Russian Roulette. Also, for the record, I've worked as a design engineer
> > along side the StrongARM 110 and 1100 designers, and I can tell you first
> > hand overclocking is not something they suggest.
>
> speedy, what is the difference between 110 and 1100? is it like pentium and
> pentium 2 or is it just MMX?

The SA-110 and the SA-1100 are different processors. The differences are
more than cosmetic, the SA-1100 is what we call today a System-on-a-Chip
or SoC while the SA-110 is "only" a processor.

The SA-110, which is used in the Newton, was a basic processor with a
simple memory controller(it could not handle DRAM) and bus interface.

The SA-1100 was the next generation StrongARM designed by DEC which
basically eliminated the need for the Voyager chipset.

SA-1100 highlights include a more sophisticated memory controller that did
SRAM/Flash, DRAM(EDO/FPM), and PCMCIA. Other features included UARTs,
GeoPort(RS-422)/HDLC, IrDA, USB slave, and an LCD controller.

Several people who worked on the design of the SA-110 also worked on the
SA-1100. The SA-1110 however was not done by DEC; Intel "updated" the
SA-1100 design(to support SDRAM) after the acquistion.

FYI, the SA-1110 is the processor used in many "new" handhelds like the
iPaq, Yopy, the new Linux Casio device, etc.

To summarize(in case all the numbers make your head spin! =) :

SA-110: Basic processor, no DRAM support
SA-1100: Processor with EDO/FPM DRAM, LCD controller, UARTs, etc
SA-1110: SA-1100 processor + SDRAM support + bug fixes

Thanks,
Speedy2.