Re: [NTLK] [OT] anime

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 14:27:10 EST

On 28/01/02 14:05, "Karen Boyette" <tokimi_at_collapsar.net> wrote:

> Oliver Brose wrote:
>
>>> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:40:59 -0500
>>> From: Karen Boyette <tokimi_at_collapsar.net>
>>> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Avi's Backdrop wallpaper images
>>>
>>> although being an anime fan back then didn't carry as much of a negative
>>> connotation as it does now, thanks to Cartoon Network.
>>>

>> Sometimes I wonder whether I should add satellite-TV to our little
>> stronghold... what did they do? Strong focus on tentacles?
>>

> Well, the problem that I have with cartoon network (and this may not
> apply to everyone) is that, thanks to their hacked up, pathetically
> dubbed versions of otherwise good programs (except for Dragonball), they
> have created a grouping of people who have no concept of what anime
> really is. In my experience, most anime fans I have the misfortune of
> coming into contact with do not know the meaning of moderation. They
> think they are actual anime characters. They refer to themselves as
> "chan" and con Japanese teachers into calling them "Misato". They take
> Japanese because anime comes from Japan. They wear bright yellow
> button-down polyester shirts smattered with random Kanji and Dragonball
> characters. Oh, and they smell bad. And if they're not this kind of
> juvenile fan, then there's always the "let's watch them Jap chicks get
> raped by monsters" kind of people.
>
> I'm just bitter because ever increasing popularity of anime has caused
> its fanbase to shift from true anime-appreciators to excessive freaks
> and it's made my life hell, since I'm a Japanese major.
>
> And that's why I tend not to tell people I'm an anime fan.
>
> Now aren't you sorry you asked!

I don't know if Oliver is sorry that he has asked, but I would like to ask
something else. I've tried to download your 2 Stuffit archives, containing
those background picts, but after sitting there for about 3 minutes, without
doing anything, IE reports that the server cannot fulfill my request. Any
idea why the transfers fail?

TIA!

-Laurent.

casting the runes n.: What a guru does when you ask him or her to run a
particular program and type at it because it never works for anyone else;
esp. used when nobody can ever see what the guru is doing different from
what J. Random Luser does. Compare incantation, runes, examining the
entrails; also see the AI koan about Tom Knight in "Some AI Koans" (Appendix
A).