Re: [NTLK] Connecting MPs with localtalk

From: David Arnold (arnold_at_dstc.monash.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 22:00:43 EST

-->"Eric" == Eric L Strobel <fyzycyst_at_home.com> writes:

>>> I have some to believe you could connect x number of Newts
>>> together using those localtalk dongle things that have the Newt
>>> serial on one end and a box with phone jacks in the other.
>>>
>>> Is this true?

yes.

  Eric> He's talking about PhoneNet connectors (by Farallon and also
  Eric> made by others).

yup. often very cheap (like free) secondhand ...

  Eric> Now, as for having several Newts swapping packages or e-mail
  Eric> or anything over LocalTalk... Well, I've not seen any
  Eric> indication it's possible or not possible, but then I've only
  Eric> been Newt-ing for about a year.

aside from using AppleTalk/LocalTalk to backup/sync with a Mac, you
can also run TCP/IP over the LocalTalk cabling, by encapsulating the
IP packets in AppleTalk packets.

now unless you have a MacIP gateway (such as a GatorBox or Asante
Print or some such beast), this will only work amongst the newts, but
it should allow you to browse your NPDS servers using Newtscape, for
instance.

to use this, open internet setup, and create a new setup entry.
select LocalTalk as the connection type (you must have the NIE
LocalTalk extension installed). you can then assign your IP addresses
manually (maybe use 192.168.0.x ?) or, if you have a MacIP server, you
can have it allocate addresses for you.

i've been using infrared localtalk adaptors from Photonics for
wireless (but not radio) web surfing from my Newt ever since i got my
mp130! i had my office floor wired with phonenet cabling, and
transceivers in most useful rooms, and could check mail, news groups
or web well before we have wavelan ;-)

this is a bit out of date now, but ...

   http://archive.dstc.edu.au/Oedipus/network/ir.html

as far as i recall, the IP-in-Appletalk encapsulation is not supported
by NIE-1.1, but definitely worked with the 130 and 2k series.

i've got some spare IR LocalTalk adaptors if anyone wants them ...