Re: [NTLK] [OT] properly designed site

From: Grant [Chunky Style] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 22:05:36 EST

In a previous message, Frank Gruendel typed vigorously:

>> If a site is properly designed to consider all types of browsers...
>
>One of the best jokes I've heard lately. Please translate the above
>sentence to
>
>If a webmaster has enough money to pay a couple of people working full-time
>for him, trying out whatever he comes up with with a myriad of Internet
>Explorer versions, a myriad of Netscape versions, a fair amount of Opera
>versions and whatever other browsers are out there. All this on at least
>three platforms. But this is theory. I can't imagine anybody who would do
>this kind of work for more than a week without killing either himself or
>the people responsible for Internet Explorer 4.7 on the Mac. Of course,
>only after dropping a bomb on Netscape headquarters.

Ahem.

I do this all the time. I do this for a living. And I haven't killed
anyone yet.

It's no more work (in fact, it's less work in the long run) than building
a site that is optimized for only one browser or one platform. Yes, there
are some limitations placed on what types of dynamic content or client
side interaction you can implement when designing sites this way, however
it's certainly not as improbable as you claim.

Take a look at the new version of the Newted Community site, for example.
It works in pretty much any browser you can throw at it - from Mosaic to
Lynx to Opera to MacWeb to Newt's Cape to Explorer to WebTV. It may be
less pretty in some browsers, but it is accessible and usable all the
same... (well except for the message boards, but that's a third party
software issue).

There's my additional couple of cents.

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/