[NTLK] Backlight repairs and an off-topic bush report

From: Glen Swanson (glen_at_laotel.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 04:19:03 EST

To all,
last week I sent off a message to the list asking for help in repairing
my newly required Newton 130 (I presently have an upgraded 2000, and my
wife uses a 130). Many thanks to all that offered support, but I was
unable to respond to all the kind offers of assistance as the next day I
had to dash off to the south to try and work out some problems a project
here has developed.

Well the problems turned out to be not too bad after all, and I've had
an interesting opportunity to explore the area: Of course my Newton 2100
is my life line on this trip.

Although I'm off topic I'd like to express my appreciation of this
marvellous machine. I first bought the Newton a few years back to work
in remote villages along the eastern slopes of Bolivia. During that time
(three years) my Newton never let me down on any of the field
excursions. Though once I have a real scare, when one of the pack mules
stumbled on the trail and my Newton case slipped out and tumbled over a
ridge. Fortunately, like in a B-movie, the strap hung up on a plant just
a short distance down the slope, otherwise it would have slid a long
distance down into the gorge.

Now, I'm now out on the old Ho Chi Minh trail reading my mail and taking
notes that will be the core of my report when I get back up to
Vientiane, next week. The fact is that with my keyboard and a spare set
of batteries I am well equipped to worked quite comfortably.

Interstingly, as I was working my way through the Newtalk mail in the
village here, I was so taken up by what I was doing that I didn't even
notice I was sitting beside a rather large UXO. When I realized what it
was, I walked -quickly- back into the village only to come across two
bombie casings: bizarre land, this is.

Anyway, to try and get off my ramblings, if all goes well I ought to be
back to urban reality next week and would like to take Frank up on your
offer to have look at the Newton 130. I'd like to see if it would be
possible to revive this Newton and have my oldest daughter use it for
her mail account.

If you send me an address I'll package the Newton up and post it off in
week or two. For return I can give you an address of the UN poach in
Geneva that can forward the Newton back to me in the Lao PDR.

Again thanks to all.

Glen Swanson
Rural Development Advisor/Anthropologist
United Nations Development Project
National Rural Development Project Lao 98/G81

Committee for Planning and Cooperation (formally the State Planning
Committee) Vientiane, Lao PDR.

Tel & Fax: (856-21) 212 606
Home (856-21)35 10 66
Mobile (856-20)519 812