[NTLK] Re - Proper site design

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 18:08:35 EST

>> If a webmaster has enough money to pay a couple of people working
>> full-time for him, trying out whatever he comes up with with a myriad of
>> Internet Explorer versions, a myriad of Netscape versions,...

> I do this all the time. I do this for a living. And I haven't killed
> anyone yet.

Lucky you! Well, maybe you could have a look at the left frame in any of
the pages at www.pda-soft.de that have the navigation bar on the left
side. Below said navigation bar there is a text field, below that the
"Exact match" checkbox,
below that the "Search tips" link. Below that there's the text "You are
visitor",
below that some visitor counter html. I tested this with IE 6, Netscape 6,
Opera 5 and 6 on the PC, and on all these browsers the afore mentioned
elements are below each other and centered. Netscape 4.7 on the Mac layouts
them in one line next to each other which scrambles the whole layout of the
left frame. Netscape 5.x on the Mac is slightly better insofar that it at
least puts
the elements below each other, but some of them aren't centered.
 I've been looking at this code until my eyes hurt, and I still think
this is a pure and simple html table done by the book.
While you are at it, I'm also in for a tip regarding why the iCab browser
(which I hadn't heard of until yesterday) appears to execute html code
located between noframes tags quite merrily although it *does*
support frames and frames are turned on.
Let me conclude this rant by admitting that I certainly am no html guru.
And to the best of my knowledge the html knowledge level of the
programmers of FUSION must have been worse (anybody want to give
away a legal copy of DreamWeaver??). If I ever start another site, I will
code entirely in NotePad or SimpleText. Most likely this browser behavior
is entirely my or Fusion's fault. Still, fact is that no two browsers behave
exactly alike, and if you want to put up a site for everyone, you have to
spent heaps of time on satisfying all those browser versions there are.
And you will never really succeed, because you don't even *know* all the
browsers that are out there. Unless, of course, you stick to about 10
percent
of what even standard html allows.

Cheers

Frank