[NTLK] Re - Browsers and stuff

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 18:16:22 EST

> Personally, I find it irritating to have to keep
> upgrading my browser because of folks out there that just have to
implement
> the latest, greatest bell/whistle, regardless of whether it gags every
other
> browser out there.

This is of course a decision everyone has to make who creates a web site.
Fact is that there are some things I think should be avoided (like torturing
people with sound on the start page already or playing a 10 minute
realplayer
movie that takes a week to download without giving the visitor a chance
to cancel it). But there are also many things that help making a site more
intuitive and easier to navigate. Rollover, links that change their color
when you move the mouse over them, stuff like that. All this is plain ol'
standard
html or javascript that has been standardized and defined ages ago. Still,
you don't find any two browsers that interpret this stuff exactly alike.

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de