[NTLK] OT: Re: NCU-like software native MacOS X: what prevents it

From: mark d smith (markds_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 16:10:04 EST

This debate is:

a) getting off topic, but...

b) interesting, but...

  only because its here on NewtonTalk. There are vacuous OS 9 versus OS
  X debates raging everywhere.

For my money there is no debate. I moved as much of my work as I could
away from MacOS to BeOS during the course of the 7.5 to 8.6 dark years
when the MacOS was really groaning. But, BeOS bombed and now I'm back
on MacOS X, loving it and trying to get totally free of classic as fast
as I can.

(Any other idiots who came to Newton after moving away from classic
MacOS to OS X (with or without a detour elsewhere) ?)

But OK, thats just my perspective.

Tom Sheppard wrote:

> Even with OS 9 we've seen limited support from vendors because the
> market is too small. Adding X into the equation fragments an already
> small market. I know Apple is hoping the market grows, but if I was a
> device manufacturer I'd be asking the same tough question, "Is it
> worth it to develop drivers for a small fragment of a small fragment
> of the market?" I'm not surprised that many have said no, just
> disappointed.

Well, if Steve and Apple have any succes whatsoever (and I'm betting
that the next two years are going to be reasonably successful for both)
then the OS X market will become the overwhelming majority of the Mac
market. Fast. (We all know what the "typical Mac user" has on his/her
machine and why on earth would they want to run that on OS 9 in a
years time ? )

mark.