Re: [NTLK] any hardware hackers here?

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 00:08:39 EST

I don't know about a 'gel pen' but you can buy special purpose pens that dispense a conductive trace. I have one, made by MG Chemicals, that I got at an electronic supply shop. It cost about $20.00 and uses silver in suspension.

I've never tried to use it to mend broken ribbon cable, but I have used it to mend hairline cracks in circuit board, and even 'draw' new traces on a circiut board, up to a couple inches long.

It might work on a ribbon cable, except for the flexing. It dries fairly hard, so I think it could be suceptible to cracking.

-Stephanie

I haven't yet had the "opportunity" to check my theory, but would a metallic
gel pen traced over a trace work to bridge a hairline break in that trace, or
perhaps to do the same on a mylar+copper "ribbon" cable?