Re: [NTLK] Questions before I buy a 2100

From: Mark Bock (markbvt_at_adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 09:08:38 EDT

>After selling my old 2100 in 98 and moving "up" to a Palm/Windows
>"solution", I have decided to go back to the Newton. It simply works better
>for me. I do have a few questions since it has been a few years;

Know how you feel, I recently picked up a Newton because I got tired
of the limitations of my Handspring Visor.

Don't know the answers to all your questions, but I'll answer those I can.

>1. Is there a difference between an upgraded 2000 and a 2100?

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the number on the case.

>3. I want to use it with an 802.11b home network and wanted to know what
>card/drivers you recommend.

There's only one driver available, from
http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm. There's a list there
of the cards it works with; I've had excellent luck using my Farallon
Skyline 11Mb card with my Newton.

>4. I want to confirm that I will be able to surf the web on the LAN (what
>browser?)

LunaSuite works great for me for both web browsing and email. You can
also use NetHopper, which is included on the 2100 software CD, but
it's a pretty basic browser.

>5. I want to confirm that I will be able to transfer data over the LAN,
>eliminating the need to physically connect the MP with my XP machine.

Works for me with my Macs, so I don't see why you'd have any trouble
with your PC.

>11. What items do I need to make sure I receive when I buy one off ebay?

Most of the eBay auctions seem to be similar: a working Newton (most
often, IME, an upgraded 2000) with 33.6 modem PC card, stylus, AC
adapter, and NiMH rechargeable battery. When I bought mine I also
separately bought a 32MB Flash card, extra battery, Ethernet PC card,
and keyboard. I already had the Farallon Skyline card to use with my
pre-Airport Powerbook. You'll also want to get a SER-001 (which adds
a normal Mac serial port to your Newton and eliminates the need for a
serial adapter). I don't remember the URL for the SER-001, but you'll
find it if you search the list archives.

>12. What is the software availability and support like for the MPs?

Software availability is surprisingly good, considering that the
platform was officially discontinued four years ago (in many ways
this actually makes software availability even better, because a
number of the commercial programs developed years ago are now being
given away for free -- LunaSuite for example). Support, however, is
probably nonexistent aside from DIY support via the many online
Newton resources (and this list).

--mark

--
. . . . .
mark bock

"A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his grandmother every time, at a hundred." --Mark Twain

PGP Public Key: available at http://www.armchaircommando.org/key.html PGP Fingerprint: 1A59 BBB7 DF23 9FEC 5897 5C7B 7703 78FB CC33 6ABC