Re: [NTLK] Q: CISCO PCMCIA FLASH

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 16:30:53 EDT

It requires no conversion for the Cisco Linear Flash cards (Intel series II
spec). You just insert them and the Newton responds, "This card appears to
be empty, do you want to format it?" Answer "yes", and the Newton formats
it and makes it available as a store.

The downside is that cards that have actually been used in a router have a
high failure rate, due to the inherent read-write life of flash memory.
Each cell (or block) in a linear flash card has a read-write lifetime of
~100,000 cycles. In a Newton, this equates to an 8-20 year life. In a
router, particularly a busy one, this card can be wasted in a week.

So, if you buy one of these cards, try to make sure that it is *brand-new*
and in packaging. If so, it is no different from any other new flash card.
If it's used, then it's caveat emptor, and there is no method to tell how
much additional life is left on these cards...well...until they fail.

As a footnote, most newtwork techs know that these cards were
interchangeable with virtually any linear flash cards, so even non-router
branded cards could have this issue. Always ask if they have ever been used
in a router.

IHTH,

Regards,

Gary