Re: [NTLK] NR70 screen (was Re: Palm Interface)

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 02:12:29 EDT

Jesse,

I personally have used the demo models in portrait mode. But I have not
tried the landscape mode. According to my friend, it does operate in
landscape mode, just like the HandEra 330.

I am not sure if it requires additional software, of comes this way out
of the box.

Next time I see him, I will reverify in case I misunderstood him.

I am a bit confused by your "don't do much" comment. Were you saying
this tongue in cheek or serious? I found that the Palm OS devices worked
well and did a lot via third party software apps.

I prefer the Newt over the Palm primarily for the following reasons:
- Screen size
- HWR
- Expandability
- Strong backlight
- HP-12 calculator emulator
- Conversion app
- Word app
- Send/Receive fax
- Customizable/Soft button area
- Note recording capability
- The GoGo app -- what can I say, it's a classic! ;-)

...well you get the idea.

The Palm OS devices are catching up in some areas -- then again, you
would expect so after 4-5 years! :-o

Reference the Bluetooth SDIO, I don't have any experience with
those...yet. However, I have seen various models of the cards. They
also have cameras and other devices attached to card like devices as well.

At one point I almost got a HandEra 330. One of the pluses was being
able to use a CF communications card:

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/p_s/products/index.html

You can get up to 64kps DL and 32kps UL speeds. It operates on the PHS
system.

It seems like these cards are popular in the Tokyo area. This is mainly
due to their coverage area. As you get farther away, the less chance you
will be able to use this type of connection, especially when you are away
from the large cities.

When I've used my Newton remotely, I connect via my DoCoMo cell phone.
While not the fastest (only 9600 baud), DoCoMo has the largest coverage
in Japan, which comes in handy when I travel -- especially on ski trips.

BTW, I was able to connect while using the Bullet Train from Northern
Honshu on my way back to Tokyo on a recent trip. Being able to connect
while traveling at 250km/hr plus speeds was pretty cool.

To connect to my Newt, I have a DoCoMo PC Card that I purchased in 1996.
The card has a socket to connect a cable, similar to my Farallon Ethernet
card. The other end connects directly to the cell phone.

I remember the trials and tribulations of trying to get DoCoMo to let me
test their card in my Newt, since it was not supported. Let alone, no
one even had heard of/seen the Newt except one nice young lady. But she
politely explained that DoCoMo only supported the following devices and
the Newt was not one of them.

I finally convinced her to give it a try. She got all excited when I put
in the card and the Newt displayed the dialog saying that a
communications card had been inserted.

Back in 96, using a cell phone in a wireless mode was not the most
popular thing to do. We were breaking new ground somewhat.

Unfortunately, we could not get the system to work. I would pop in my
modem card and it would work. Then the DoCoMo card and the phone
wouldn't connect. Then she realized the problem.

At that time, you had to select on the cell phone, Phone, Data, or Fax.
She put the phone in Phone and Data mode.

Once that was done, it worked fine.

Recently, I tried to see if the PC Card (same system as the CF Card)
would work.

When I first inquired, I got the usual suck teeth response that it
wouldn't work. It was a non supported platform.

Then I showed the DoCoMo salesperson that the DoCoMo card with cell phone
worked.

He was impressed and became interested! Yeah! :-)

So then we tried his personal PC Card. The Newt recognized it as a
communications card.

Unfortunately, you have to have an account to test it. I asked it I
could use his account to give it a try. But understandably, he declined.

Maybe one of these days I will get an account to give it a try. I am
pretty sure that it will work. But it's not the cheapest thing to get.
At this point in time, it's hard for me to justify the cost just to see
if it will work since I don't need that capability right now.

...but who knows.

If I do try this system someday, I will let the board know the results.

Sushi