Re: [NTLK] Wireless newton

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 06:17:20 EDT

on 05-07-2002 7:18, Mike at tuco_at_mac.com wrote:

> I've read that a newton can be connected with a WaveLan card. My question
> is does it also require a base station, or can I put an airport card in the
> mac and a WaveLan in the newton and have them "talk"?

Yes you can, exactly my setup, you'll see if you launch the Airport
application that there's an Software Base Station option.

Works perfect and comes down to the same as having an Airport station, the
only thing is that you need to have your Mac on while using your wireless
connection. Seen the fact that you have a cable connection (I have ADSL) I'm
guessing that your iMac is on most of the time anyway, mine is ;-)

> As far a wireless networks go which would be the cheapest route, while
> still offering good performance? I don't want to spend $300 for an airport
> base station and another $100 for the card, although I like the idea of using
> it in case I buy another laptop in the future.

Just two cards (one for the newt and one for the iMac) should always be the
cheapest solution.

Robert Benschop