Re: [NTLK] Best Mac laptop for Newton use?

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 21:46:31 EDT

On Saturday, July 6, 2002, at 05:27 , David Firth wrote:

> The Powerbook 3400 or the original G3 (Powerbook 3500 "Kanga") have
> 10-baseT
> ethernet and serial. This eliminates the need to try and use USB to
> serial
> adapters and other work-arounds. The laptops are OS 9.x compatible.
> Before I
> bought my iBook 500, I was a very happy 3400 owner. My 3400 was an
> excellent
> Newton companion ;) I've never had a 1400, but expect that that model
> would
> also be a good one to use.

The problem with the 1400 is that is has no built in communications like
modem or ethernet. It has 2 PCMCIA slots though, and there is no
problem, making a 3Com 589x card work under OS 7.5 - 9.1. I was lucky
and snatched up one of the last Farallon internal ethernet cards for
that model but they are no longer available from whoever bought Farallon.

I would personally go fo a Wallstreet or a Lombard, afaik, they have
serial ports, as well as built-in ethernet. They are not the cheapest,
but on the other hand, they are quite useful machines, even with OS X.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris Ruprecht
1505 Fort Clark Boulevard #1-205 * Gainesville, FL 32606
E-mail: chrup_at_earthlink.net