Re: [NTLK] Connecting an eMate to an iMac

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 00:08:06 EDT

on 7/10/02 10:55 PM, Jim Martin at jimmartin_at_mindspring.com wrote:
> Does the eMate need to have a third-party application installed on it in
> order to use the Ethernet card?
    Yes.
> If so, how do I get the software onto the
> eMate, if I don't have the means to connect it?
    This is where the problem lies. I have made up a 2MB card with the
necessary software to use ethernet on an MP2100 or eMate. However, it has to
be a backup since parts of the software will not allow themselves to be
installed anywhere but on the internal store. This means a restore has to be
done from the card to the internal store _ wiping anything on the Newt.
    I've sent this card to someone on the list to get his Newt going on
ethernet and as a test of this method. It's still in the hands of either the
Canadian or U.S. Postal service at this point, but I'll let the list know
how this works.
    If it does work, maybe the various NUGs can make similar cards to send
out to new Newton users who have no way of making a serial connection but
have the necessary ethernet hardware. A lot of people are getting 2100s
without dongles these days and the price of a dongle, serial cable and
adapter is a lot of expense just to do a one-time load of ethernet software.

Cheers,
Peter