Re: [NTLK] PCMCIA GPS Units....

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 05:12:45 EDT

My recent experience is that is is not worth to consider building a GPS unit
yourself around an off-the-shelf GPS receiver like the one from Sychip.
Those receivers might be more expensive or at least as expensive as a
complete device like the Garmin GPS mouse or the ETREX, which you can get
(used) for less than $100.

PCMCIA devices are rather expensive and use one PCMCIA slot of your Newt,
which you could use otherwise if you go for a serial GPS receiver solution
like the above mentioned. (keep in mind that the maps need quiet a lot of
space in your Newts memory)

As far as the GPS Map documentation is concerend, there is reportetd that a
driover is available for the Centennial SatNav PCMCIA GPS receiver, but in
principle every PCMCIA-GPOS receiver which simulates a serial interface and
supports NMEA 183 data format can be used in the Newt.

I checked recently
http://www.emtac.com/index.html,
but the prices are far too high.
The price for the teletype PCMCIA GPS receiver is by far the highest I have
ever seen...

Johannes