Re: [NTLK] NIE and OS

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 17:25:29 EDT

On 12/07/02 17:18, "Peter Cameron" <pdwc_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:

> What system update is required for Ethernet to work on the Newt?
> I sent another list member a card with a backup of the necessary files
> to use a 3CXE589ET card, but after he did a restore from the card the Newt
> will not recognize the card. We've pretty much determined that it can't be
> the card (he has three and they all give the same result). The files (3C589,
> Farallon Enet, Newton Devices and NIE Ethernet) from NIE 2.0 are in extras
> as they should be.
> However, his Newt's OS is 2.1 (717006)-0. Is 2.1 (717260)-1 required for
> this to work?

Never heard that a system update was needed for Ethernet to work. You have
to make sure that you already installed the core of Newton Internet Enabler
(NIE), but that's pretty much it. And also make sure that the packages
making up NIE are on the internal store. However, I fail to see why no
external flash RAM card are no longer recognized...

-Laurent.

Blue Screen of Death n.: [common] This term is closely related to the older
Black Screen of Death but much more common (many non-hackers have picked it
up). Due to the extreme fragility and bugginess of Microsoft Windows,
misbehaving applications can readily crash the OS (and the OS sometimes
crashes itself spontaneously). The Blue Screen of Death, sometimes decorated
with hex error codes, is what you get when this happens. (Commonly
abbreviated BSOD.)