Re: [NTLK] Death through Dormancy?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 14:02:26 EDT

On 17/07/02 13:43, "B. Miller" <brimille_at_onetel.net.uk> wrote:

> It seems like I've read of a simple solution to this on the list before, but
> haven't been able to find it in the archives. Here's the deal:
>
> Back in May, I had an MP2100 that I never used much (addicted to my e-Mate).
> Perfect condition. Battery lasted for nearly a week with light to moderate
> use. Needing money, I sold it on e-Bay.
>
> Due to a variety of complications after I'd packed the unit for delivery,
> the buyer didn't get the unit until about a week ago. So the unit had been
> in the box for two full months.
>
> The buyer writes to say he charged the battery (I don't know how long), the
> unit worked fine for 20 minutes and then went blank and he hasn't been able
> to resuscitate it. He's new to Newtons, but I e-mailed him the PDF owner's
> manual and the Newton FAQ, pointing out in particular the various reset
> procedures. None seem to work.
>
> Any advice/suggestions for what I should tell this guy (besides joining this
> list)?

This symptom is quite common when the battery is completely discharged. The
Newton in some kind of coma and won't come out unless you help it a little
bit. He should remove the battery and leave the unit unplugged without
battery for a couple of hours. Then, tell him to plug the adapter. Then, he
should try to do a reset. If that doesn't work, he will have to follow the
procedures to do a "hard reset". Instead of tapping "Yes" when the Newton
asks if he wants to completely erase the internal memory, he should tap "No"
if that's really what he wants to do. Personally, I think he should do a
hard reset so the unit would revert to its factory defaults. If he decides
he wants to clear the internal memory, then he would obviously tap "Yes"
when he is asked to confirm.

-Laurent.

brain dump n.: [common] The act of telling someone everything one knows
about a particular topic or project. Typically used when someone is going to
let a new party maintain a piece of code. Conceptually analogous to an
operating system core dump in that it saves a lot of useful state before an
exit. "You'll have to give me a brain dump on FOOBAR before you start your
new job at HackerCorp." See core dump (sense 4). At Sun, this is also known
as `TOI' (transfer of information).