Re: [NTLK] Our first Newtons

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 23:37:48 EDT

Ha! My first Newt Wasn't!
Well, wasn't a Newt, really...
It was a Motorola Marco. Complete with wireless
service for almost a year (transferred the account to
a 120 a year after the Marco) I was a bit taken aback
by the weird battery that the Marco took and the fact
that while wireless, the battery didn't last very long
at all...and the weird door covering the screen
and...well, there were a lot of things I didn't really
care for on the Marco, that's why I got a 120 1.3 I
quickly upgraded to OS 2 and promptly fell in
long-term love with the device. I played around with a
Tarpon for a few months, but that ruggidized case
makes an already big device positivly huge! I had an
oportunity to carry around a Grouper for a week as
well! So, in reality, the first three Newts I ever saw
weren't even Newts! But I recognized potential when I
saw it and once I saw OS2.0, I never looked back!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Carol E Campbell <joyuzsong_at_lycos.com> wrote:

> ---Hi Everyone,
> I sat in on the eMate
> tutorial class
> at MacWorld when it was last in Boston, ( I'm from
> MA-go redsox) and played with the eMates that were
> bolted to our seats. I thought that they were the
> best thing since chocolate milk. I then drove to
> Salem, N.H. to purchase one from the now defunct
> company Computertown for $800. I later purchased a
> 2K from MicroCenter in Boston for $500. Needless to
> say, they've been worth it and more.
> .......Carol
> "Art like morality, begins by drawing the line
> somewhere."-C. K. Chesterton
>
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:03 -0
> Woo Lee wrote:
> >
> >------------------
> >>I got my MP100 in 1995 as a refurb from
> MacWarehouse. Don't remember how
> >>much, but it was cheap, I think $199.
> >
> >Dude! May 1995, a MP100 refurb. from Creative
> Computers for $169.00. That was cool.
> >----------------
> >>In late April 1997, after months of rabid
> anticipation, I paid $1,099 for my
> >>(now upgraded) MP2000. I've used it just about
> every day since.
> >>
> >>Long live the Green!
> >>
> >>--Jesse
> >
> >May 1997, finished a biochem. final, drove 30 miles
> to NewtonSource in Westwood, bought MP2000 for
> $999.00, six months later paid $99.00 for the
> upgrade, missed out on the 2 meg. card but got the
> keyboard. Been using it everyday since, in fact
> it's my main email Newt., has Newtscape on it, and
> connected to Martina's Airport.
> >The Newton doesn't die, it gets recharged/new
> batts.!

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting