Re: [NTLK] Geez people, freaking get over it

From: Scaringi, Stephen (Stephen.Scaringi_at_storagenetworks.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 14:10:18 EDT

From Apple's financial statements available on their web site, as of =
June 2002 they have:=20

- $1.2 billion in cash and cash equivalents
- $3.02 billion in short term investments=20

Together, this usually gets reported as Apple's $4+ billion in cash =
reserves. It is _very_ common for tech companies to try and keep large =
cash reserves around. Microsoft is around $35-$38 billion.=20

I completely agree with others here that Apple pulled an unethical move =
-- possibly illegal? -- by switching iTools from a free to fee based =
service. At the very least, they should have stopped any new iTools =
accounts and grandfathered in existing users, while all new purchases =
would have to use the .mac fee based service.=20

This mane our creates a horrible amount of ill will with current iTools =
users. It's tarnished my opinion of Apple and the Mac experience. As an =
advocate among my family, friends and co-workers for the Mac (and =
Newton!), this is the first time I've begun feeling apathetic about the =
Mac.

-Stephen=20