Re: [NTLK] Alternatives to Newton? (Ipaq isnīt!)

From: MuHammed Lonon (mjl3781_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 17:04:32 EDT

Then
> closed the lid and went back to sleep. Woke up in
> the
> morning and couldn't figure out what i had written,
> asked the Newt to translate and it figured it out
> with
> little difficulty. That's the kind of PDA I need.
> Kinda like a personal assistant! Like that Nurse on
> that new program on TV called Monk...

You too!!!!!

> > Well,
> > my feeling that my Newton 2100 was somewhat
> > "lacking modern features" and itīs problems with
> > exchanging RTFs properly and the connection
> > to PIMs tempted me to look around a bit.
> > It did change though when I read the unbelieveable
> > bug list in
> > www.ipaqpetition.com/petition/index.htm.
> > I especially like that one: After listing 35
> defects
> > of the
> > Ipaq itself they state that
> > "The above lists of issues do not include
> additional
> > issues that are present in the Microsoft PocketPC
> > 2000
> > and PocketPC 2002 operating systems. There are
> > dozens
> > of additional issues in the operating systems."

Well after reading this e-mail(before I wrote the
reply duh) I promptly went into Palma's office and
took his icraq for a spin. I wrote 20 'a's in a row.
none of the translated. I then wrote a couple of "A"s
it was then that I realised that you can only right in
CAPS but if you tapped a little button at the bottom
of the screen you could change the 'translation' btw
upper and lower case. The next 20 "A"s managed to get
less than half of themselves recognized. This was
using the Scribe program which expressly stated that
it would ____reliably___ interperate your handwriting.
 When I inquired with Palma he said, and I quote
"That's why it ain't nuttin but a glorified calendar
for me"-indeed

Sidenote: I looked again at the about screen that said
the HWR was reliable. Upon further analysis (and the
aid of a magniying glass) I was aghast to find that
what I previously thought to be a smudge on the screen
was actually a disclamimer that reads (and again I
quote):

"HWR reliablity is directly connected to three
factors:
1) Loyalty to Microsoft Inc an all those who bow down
before it.

2) Willingness to relinquish first-born to said
monopoly(oops does it say monopoly...tee hee)

3) Ability to jump through flamin hoops[ flamability
of clothing not withstanding]"

You decide for yourself.
P.S. (ok so _maybe_ a little paraphrasing)

=====
MuHammed Jamal Lonon
102 Loden Lane Rochester, NY 14623
(585) 334-0848 (local)