Re: [NTLK] [FS] MP2100s (several)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 12:31:08 EDT

On 24/07/02 11:50, "Filmer, Paul E." <pfilmer_at_nsf.gov> wrote:

> Apologies for cross posting, not sure if NewtonTalk is up (I'm still
> catching up on digest #386, reading the endless threads on Backlight life
> and Vanilla Coke...).

Hey, Paul Filmer! Where are you, now? Did you know we had a NUGWASH meeting
a couple of weeks ago, in honor of Anthony Velasco, who was in the area? Was
a good meeting and a few people did show up. I'm thinking that we should try
to set up some kind of an agenda the next time we meet. Do some presentation
or something. I find that the free form format of our meetings is starting
to wear off. Just a thought...

Glad to see you back!

-Laurent.

Brooks's Law prov.: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it
later" -- a result of the fact that the expected advantage from splitting
development work among N programmers is O(N) (that is, proportional to N),
but the complexity and communications cost associated with coordinating and
then merging their work is O(N^2) (that is, proportional to the square of
N). The quote is from Fred Brooks, a manager of IBM's OS/360 project and
author of "The Mythical Man-Month" (Addison-Wesley, 1975, ISBN
0-201-00650-2), an excellent early book on software engineering.