Re: [NTLK] OT: upcoming trip to Montreal: poutine advice needed

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 13:53:36 EDT

On 24/07/02 13:08, "Pedro Hobbyfrazoo" <pjfraser_at_mac.com> wrote:

> We'll be vacationing in upstate NY soon, and plan to go see Les Expos
> one last time on August 13, 14 or 15. Those are night games, so I
> figure it'd be ok to treat the family to their first (and perhaps last)
> poutine before the game. Can anyone recommend a place in Montreal where
> we might find the best example of this delicacy?

Unfortunately, I would recommend against trying to find such a place in
Montreal. If you really want to experiment the "real" thing, you need to
find a small place in a small town that are doing all their stuff manually.
Most likely, in a city like Montreal, most restaurants will server their
"poutine" with frozen fries. You might not get the right cheese either. If
you're really serious about that, email me at <mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net> and
I'll try to ask my brothers who are still in Montreal if they have any idea
where you could find a good place. But, you have to email me, or I will
forget ;-)

Since you say that you're traveling from upstate New York, you'll most
likely drive to Montreal on the 87. Unfortunately, I don't know that part of
Quebec, between the NY state border and Montreal very well. I'm sure there
must be some small places that would server a genuine poutine, but I don't
know where they would be.

If you're traveling in the neighborhood of Sherbrooke (about 1 1/2 hour east
Montreal on highway 10), I would recommend "Louie Luncheonette".

HTH!

-Laurent.

CLM /C-L-M/: [Sun: `Career Limiting Move'] 1. n. An action endangering one's
future prospects of getting plum projects and raises, and possibly one's
job: "His Halloween costume was a parody of his manager. He won the prize
for `best CLM'." 2. adj. Denotes extreme severity of a bug, discovered by a
customer and obviously missed earlier because of poor testing: "That's a CLM
bug!"