Re: [NTLK] An idea was [Re: NewtWiki]

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 16:31:43 EDT

MuHammed wrote:
> Well when I did the gesture in the "mini notepad" it
> worked but when I tried to do it in the system notepad
> it would only bring the pop-up for a new note...any
> ideas why???
>=20
> I think I had something else in mind tho. I was under
> the impression that NewtWikki would create a
> "permanant" link.=20
>=20
> Ids there an app tat will allow me to create
> hyperlinks in the notes I write both to the web and
> possibly other notes. This is mainly in reference to
> my previous e-mail about writing up meeting minutes.=20
> Would it be possible to link references to previous
> minutes on the Newt itself and/or online??

        Well, it will bring up the popup if it can't find a note with
the same title as the word you're gesturing from. You pick a stationary
type from the popup and it will create a new note (of that stationary
type) titled appropriately. For instance, if you gesture from the phrase
"(July 2 minutes)", and you don't have a note called "July 2 minutes",
it will pop up the stationary menu. You can then pick something ("New
Note", for instance), and it will create a new note titled "July 2
minutes" for you to write in. If you already had a note in the same
folder called "July 2 minutes", it would link to that existing note.

        I'm not sure what you mean by "permanent" links. Links in
NewtWiki, or any Wiki for that matter, exist only so long as there is
something for them to link to. Part of the whole point of a Wiki is that
the links are automatic. That is, you don't have to worry about creating
a complicated HTML-style link as you write. Any word in NewtWiki is
potentially a link if there is something to link it to. One thing you
get out of this after you've "fed your Wiki" for a while is you end up
with accidental linking going on. You'll write something without being
aware that you're linking to other notes.

        As far as linking to the web, if you've got NewtsCape installed
you can link from a note to the web with NewtWiki. Just write the URL
into the note. When you gesture from it, NewtWiki will launch NewtsCape
and navigate it to that URL.

        Now, as far as writing up your meeting notes goes, you *could*
always write them in Notes using NewtWiki for the linking, and then move
them to a "regular" Wiki on your web server. It's fairly simple to set
one of these up. A "regular" Wiki looks like a "standard" web site, but
the pages aren't edited in HTML. Instead, the pages are more-or-less
plain-text with the links made in a similar way to the way NewtWiki
links. NewtWiki would work well for this. Email me off list and we can
talk about specifics.

        Regards,

--
Jim Anderson

Evil Overlord Rule 23: I will keep a special cache of low-tech weapons and train my troops in their use. That way -- even if the heroes manage to neutralize my power generator and/or render the standard-issue energy weapons useless -- my troops will not be overrun by a handful of savages armed with spears and rocks.