Re: [NTLK] What's GPRS

From: Jodine Chase (jchase_at_mediaworkswest.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 00:42:38 EDT

> Well I am confused. What is Fido's GPRS service?
>
> Larrie

GPRS stands for general packet radio service. I'm not a tech so I can't tell
you what that means in tech terms, but in practical terms it provides a
wireless connection to the internet (via PPP) that gives you speeds of up to
53.6K. There is theoretically a higher speed, something like 170K, but I
think practically the carriers are limiting you to 53.6K.

It's an "always on" service.

You can get GPRS capable phones, and the newest Treo is GPRS capable but not
accessing that network yet.

There are also GPRS pc cards (modem cards, I've heard them called.)

In Canada, Rogers ATT offers the service and it uses a Sierra Wireless
Aircard 750. It DOES NOT work on a Mac. Fido has the service using the
Merlin G100 card, which is the one that works on a Mac.

I'm not sure of the US providers, but you should be able to find out by
googling GPRS.

This is part of what's referred to as the 2.5G network.

-- Jodine