Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: Joshua Johnston (flagg_at_midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 19:55:24 EDT

Yes, I did think this through before posting. I see, from what has been
posted to the list, that very few people are actually purchasing the ATA
driver because they need it, but solely to pay Paul for his efforts.
That's fine, really. He deserves to get something for the effort.

I just can't see it as altruistic in the slightest. He knows you'll all
pay for it whether you need it or not, and he's milking you all for what
he can get. This is a problem with any fanatic user base. The laws of
supply/demand/need don't apply. I'm just sorry to see that greed does.

It's a shame, because as I said, it could have become ubiquitous, a true
testament to community spirit, but now it won't. I honestly don't care
whether Paul is discouraged or not, though it's quite clear from the
reaction here that his ego's gotten quite the boost from this. He's
getting people pledging to send him money. One voice standing out from
the crowd shouldn't harm any but the most fragile ego.

If you'll all pay him $50-75, good luck to you. Good luck to him, it's
just sad to see a great program turn into a luxury item. Let's just hope
that Hiroshi doesn't take the lead and jack up his price for the WLAN
driver since it'll be proven that people will pay anything.