Re: [NTLK] flash cards an newts

From: Joshua Johnston (flagg_at_midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 01:56:16 EDT

There's actually a pretty large difference. Newtons use an older style
known as "linear" flash, which is slowly becoming quite rare. Used
memory is of debatable quality, and you'd be better off looking at
www.pricewatch.com for new stuff rather than used on eBay. The memory
found in Wal-Mart and places like that now is ATA or ATAPI based, which
is wholly incompatible with the Newton unless you use Paul Guyot's ATA
driver, and even then it won't be perfect. Take a look at the last post
under the topic: "Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13" from me for a
cost analysis of various solutions. I'll admit I'm a bit biased against
Paul's driver, but if you think you'll want more than 32M of memory, it
probably is the best way to go in the long term. I would suggest
against buying memory from someplace like Wal-Mart even with the driver,
because you likely won't be able to see if the memory is ATA compatible
or ATAPI. The latter is incompatible with Paul's driver as far as I've
heard. I'm sure people on the list can suggest good brands for that
use.

= Josh