Re: [NTLK] I'm done with the ATA thre.

From: Lee, Christopher J (christopher.j.lee_at_intel.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 14:47:03 EDT

Whelp...I've been a good boy about staying out of these kind of
conversations, but I guess I love a good scrap as much (or possibly more
than) the next guy...

While I do believe that the tenor of Joshua's statements have been more than
a little harsh, at the same time, I imagine that he feels a little like he's
"pulling a train" here...so I'd like to offer a small word in his defense...

I myself won't be buying the ATA driver BECAUSE of the cost. The cost versus
return is just too steep. Would I buy it for 25? Yep. Would I bug Paul for
tech support? Most likely not.

I respect the hell out of all the mad code ninjas that are producing the
WONDERS that we see for this platorm...between Hiroshi's wireless driver,
MAD Newton and the ATA driver, we are living in the Golden Age of the Newton
right now...years after the Newton was discontinued. We owe this all to the
developers; however, I think that the developers need to realize that they
aren't GONNA clear ANY money at prices like this. Love of the platform is
going to have to be a primary motivator, or they MAY AS WELL work at
McDonalds. I'm a strong advocate of giving compensation to software
authors...but let's be realistic here. If you think you're gonna clear
enough money to cover your time, you are very incorrect. It's foolish to
devote a great deal of time to Newton development if your primary (or even
secondary) aim is to make money.

On that note, THANK YOU, Paul! And THANK YOU! Hiroshi, and THANK YOU! To all
the others who are devoting their time and effort to keep the platform
alive.