Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail: Leaving messages on the server?

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 13:28:50 EDT

>Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:15:34 -0400
>From: John Goggan <jgoggan_at_dcg.com>
>Subject: [NTLK] SimpleMail: Leaving messages on the server?

>I want to be able to use SimpleMail to check my email now and then -- even
>though it isn't my primary mail client. I have it set to leave the messages
>on the server. However, I expected it to keep track of what it has received
>and NOT get them again each time I connect -- is that supposed to happen (like
>it does with any other non-Newton client that I have ever used)?
>
>Basically, right now, if I get all of my messages and they are sitting in the
>In Box -- and I say "receive" again, it gets them all AGAIN -- leaving two
>copies of every message in my In Box.
>
>Any thoughts? Is it a problem with my configuration and/or server? Or is
>this standard behavior? I tried both IMAP and POP3 with SimpleMail and seem
>to get the same problem with both.

Check your config and make sure you have things right- there are 2
places- inbox, simplemail prefs, "leave messages on server"- set that
to what seems logical for your goal.

Then in the other mail prefs (the popup "page" button of the
simplemail prefs main window) there's an option for "download all"
"all new" etc.

That all said, some mailservers don't respect the SMTP command to
check for the last unread (or read, I forget how it works) message
ID. so you're out of luck of your server is that way (for example,
the eudoramail.com POP server doesn't work with this feature, so the
"all new" doesn't work, and you just get everything, every time).

HTH.