Re: [NTLK] IRDA and IrTalk????

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 16:46:17 EDT

On 06/06/02 16:33, "Thomas Hofts" <thofts_at_mac.com> wrote:

> on 6/6/02 3:16 PM, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_mac.com wrote:
>

>> on 6/6/02 7:03 AM, Laurent Daudelin at nemesys_at_cox.net wrote:
>>
>>> I think, and I repeat, I think that IrDA was first fully implemented on the
>>> first PowerBook G3 Series, the "Wallstreet".
>>
>> Correct. The 1400 can only do something called "IRTalk." It cannot do IrDA.
>> :-P Pity, really. I used to sit there and look at my Newton's IR port, and
>> my 1400's, and sigh...
>
> My Powerbook 3400c has IrDA. It was the last Powerbook made without a G3
> processor. The first G3 (Wallstreet) was pretty much identical to the 3400
> with the exception of a faster CD drive and maybe a larger hard drive.
> Unfortunately the 3400 cannot be upgraded to a G3 while the 1400 can be
> upgraded.

The first G3 was actually called the 3500 in Japan, and was codenamed
"Kanga". It is the one that was really like the 3400. The Wallstreet did
introduce the curve factors of the black PowerBook, which ended with the
Pismo, before the Titanium was introduced.

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead
anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually
point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed
to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a
generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number
for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer.
Compare dead link.