Re: [NTLK] [Slightly OT] Apple Laptops

From: richard_at_cyberphotographer.com
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 13:39:44 EDT

>The laptop I get must be able to connect to my Newton...I was
>considering a 700MHz iBook or a 667 G4 Powerbook...what benefits
>would a Powerbook give me over an iBook (besides the obvious more
>spiffy appearance and faster processor)?

I have one of each. iBook is nice and small but my experience is that
with OS X it is a lot slower than a G4. Also I find the iBook screen
dpi a bit high which makes it harder to read some text. Don't forget
the last G3 firewire laptop which was also great. Don't underestimate
how much faster the PowerBooks' bus speed makes it. The G4 has very
poor Airport reception compared to the iBook due to the metal shell
but is lighter than the iBook, and the iBook has no pcmcia slot.