Re: [NTLK] 3com ethernet card in powerbook

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 21:08:50 EDT

Terri,

You can use the card - I have done so for years.
I downloaded the version 2.something from the Farallon site for their
PN595 (I think that's the model for their PC Card). Then you need to
install the driver for their card and re-boot. This doesn't yet work.
What you need to do next is: Find the string "aral" (4 characters) in
the driver file, which is installed in the Extensions foler. There are a
few instances on "Farallon" in there, ignore those.
Once you have the string, replace it with "Com " (the last character is
a space). I used Norton Disk Editor do to that.

This worked for me for any of the 3C589 and 3C589[B-D] cards.

If you don't get the thing right, drop me a note and I'll dig up the
modified driver somewhere - but you HAVE!! to install the standard
Farallon driver first. Just moving the driver to the extension folder
and re-booting will render the drive unbootable!!!

You should be able to download from here:
http://www.proxim.com/support/all/maccard/software/dl2001-09-10b.html

Best regards,
Chris

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 02:44 , <TerryFischer_at_BoiseBuilding.com>
wrote:

> I have been using the 3com 3C589C ethernet card in my MP 2100 and
> eMate. =
> Does anyone know if there is a driver available to use the same card
> in =
> a PowerBook 1400? The 3com website says no Mac drivers at all ;-( I'd =
> rather not have to buy another card if I don't need to.
> Thanks,
> -fish
>
> --

Chris Ruprecht
1505 Fort Clark Boulevard #1-205 * Gainesville, FL 32606
E-mail: chrup_at_earthlink.net