Re: [NTLK] [Slightly OT] Apple Laptops - <sigh> system performance

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 09:19:45 EDT

on 6/17/02 2:18 AM, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_mac.com wrote:

> on 6/17/02 6:53 AM, William B Davis Jr at billd_at_ecity.net wrote:
>
>> Running OS8 or 9 on a
>> PowerPC Duo is dog slow by comparison to OS X on my 4 year old Mac.
>
> I'm running 8.1 on a Duo 280c, and it doesn't seem that slow. Some things in
> the finder are slower (such as opening and closing windows), but that's
> about it. It's been wonderfully stable, and dealing with the trackball is
> much nicer with the sticky menus (which you _can_ get with 7.6.1, but why
> when you can run 8.1?)

There have been lots of debates on this over on the Duo/2400 list. Without
cache, the 2300 Duo doesn't nearly take full advantage of the PPC and the
still fairly extensive 68k code even in 8.1 really put the hit on it. I
think a reasonable 'average' of opinion is that 8.1 on the 280c can at least
'feel' as fast as on the 2300. Depending on how you prune it and tweak it.

> BTW, does anybody have a revision F(is that right) keyboard for a Duo? Mine
> is dead... :-)

These used to come up fairly regularly on eBay, but I've not looked for a
while. There was someone not all that long ago on the Duo/2400 list
offering up some stuff for sale, but you'd want to search the list archives
rather than depend upon my memory.

- Eric.