Re: [NTLK] [OT] Football and nationalism

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 11:13:28 EDT

But isn't this the beauty and majesty of the human condition?

Every country (and person) on earth has ugly events in their past (just in
the US: the genocide of the American Indian, Slavery, and then the Jim
Crowe laws until the mid 1960's, interment of Japanese Americans during
WWII, Watergate, etc, ad naseum), that they take no pride in.

But we, as a society, learn from these missteps, mistakes, and abberations.
And we grow from them.

Conversely, the beautiful things about our society, the arts, the science,
are a direct result of the times and society providing the medium in which
these flourish. And some of the most striking art and science is born of
adversity.

As reflected in the Desiderata
(http://acadia.bu.edu/johnk_html/Philosophy/Desiderata.html) "If you compare
yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will
be greater and lesser persons than yourself." I love this poem.

So, history has it's place as an instuction manual, primarily, of what not
to do. But it should not be used as measuring stick to measure the relative
worth of individuals or nations in world society today. But, you can take
pride in your national accomplishments. Those are the things that were done
right...where society excelled...sometimes, in spite of (or because of) all
the wrongs.

Sorry for the long post...now stay tuned for your regularly scheduled
program...

:)

Regards,

Gary