Re: [NTLK] RESTORING?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 13:35:08 EDT

On 25/06/02 23:12, "LA GREEN" <lagoff1_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> OK i use slowdown to do my backups. if i need to do a restore do i have to
> use slowdown also? i recently ran into error with my avi bd and wanted to
> do a restore to put it back to b4 the error. any info would be helpful.

I've never heard that you had to run it, but I would expect you would,
because the reason to run it in the first place is to kinda slow down the
computer so that it can keep up with the connection. I would imagine that
since restoring requires a connection, you might have the same problem no
matter if you're making a backup or restoring from a backup.

You could try without SlowDown and post your results here. Worst case,
you'll have to do a hard reset of your Newton, because the restore would
fail and that might leave the Newton in limbo...

-Laurent.

Brooks's Law prov.: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it
later" -- a result of the fact that the expected advantage from splitting
development work among N programmers is O(N) (that is, proportional to N),
but the complexity and communications cost associated with coordinating and
then merging their work is O(N^2) (that is, proportional to the square of
N). The quote is from Fred Brooks, a manager of IBM's OS/360 project and
author of "The Mythical Man-Month" (Addison-Wesley, 1975, ISBN
0-201-00650-2), an excellent early book on software engineering.