Re: [NTLK] Harry Potter books

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 18:25:49 EST

On 2/28/02 5:27 PM, "Samuel Jacobson" <jacobson98_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have not read any of the Harry Potter books, yet a lot of the children
> that I teach do. And, further, I have heard that a lot of adults like the
> books as they are aparently entertaining on several levels, thus to a wide
> audience. I have thought about buying a copy, but have not as I do not want
> another book to carry around. However having the book on my Newton would
> make it very possible to read. As such I was wondering if it leagal to
> download a copy of a Harry Potter book (such as the first one, the
> Sorcerer's Stone) if I also purchase a paper copy?
>
> I do not want to do anything illegal, thus I want to make sure.

I do not have any legal expertise.

That said, here are my comments.

1. I do believe that it would be illegal to have the e-text, even if you
buy a paper copy.

2. I do believe that it would NOT be immoral to download the e-text if you
buy a paper copy.

So, the question is, where do you draw the line? Do you consider something
immoral simply by the fact that it is against the law?

Personally, I believe it is more important to uphold your morals than follow
the strict letter of the law.

I know that some people would say that simply breaking the law is immoral on
it's own. I would point out that many laws needed to be broken in order to
be challenged. Rosa Parks sitting at the front of the bus comes to mind.
Now, I am not, in any way, likening that case to someone who wants to read
an e-text. All I am saying is that something does not become immoral simply
because it's illegal. IMHO!!!

Loren