Re: [NTLK] LucentWavelan driver update?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 15:12:24 EST

Robert Benschop wrote:

> on 04-03-2002 7:37, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com
> wrote:
>
> > Well, I try to keep current as far as OS X is concerned. The update was
> > part of the regular maintenance update. Furthermore, you can't configure
> > your Mac as a software base station yet, but it is rumored that a
> > forthcoming AirPort version (3.0?) would offer this.
>
> So that is a OS X issue ? (this has been possible from the beginning under
> OS 9 hasn't it ?)

Hmmmm, I don't know if we should call it an issue. It just isn't part of
AirPort for OS X yet, much like the administration tool wasn't available
with the initial release of OS X.

> > And, anyway, we would need at some point to have drivers that are
> > working with the old AirPort base station and also with the new ones
> > that are coming down the pipeline, so better off working on the driver
> > now than wait (I think)...
>
> There I completely agree, of course, but is somebody working on the driver
> and is the source code available ?

I don't know who might be working on the driver right now. I've did a
little bit of exploratory work a few months ago, but then "lost" my ABS,
so I had to put that on the backburner. Hiroshi doesn't work on the
driver anymore, I think. He certainly didn't make any update over the
last year or so, although I'm not sure since I did try his driver
sometime last year and it didn't work with my more recent ORiNOCO
(WaveLan) card.

I started working with Hiroshi released code, but I also contemplated
using part of the code that has been used to write the ORiNOCO driver on
OS X, using the NE2000 example that is provided with the Lantern DDK.

That's all I can say about that right now...

-Laurent.

mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com             Washington, DC,
USA
"Heuristics are bug ridden by definition. If they didn't have bugs,
then they'd be algorithms."