Re: [NTLK] Avantgo

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 20:04:09 EST

> Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:00:52 -0800
> From: "Jim Anderson" <jiman_at_microsoft.com>
>
> Steve wrote:
>> so, the steps would be:
>> - setup Schedule (as usual) in a Bookmarks (or HTML Cache) folder
>> (note approximately how long it takes)
>> - setup Process for same URLs in HTML Cache (or Bookmarks)
>> to Save as Package
>> specify start some time after earlier Schedule should have completed
>> (and obviously avoid overlapping schedule times)
>
> I think that would about do it. Personally, I wouldn't care
> about the additional setup complexity. I'd be a little concerned with
> how it handled failure cases, though. With the Schedule feature, if it
> fails to grab a web site, it will unschedule the bookmark. If the
> process scheduler did this, then there would be three things to check if
> you don't get your package (HTML in the cache; is the bookmark still
> scheduled; is the process still scheduled).

perhaps I could a Process picker to Schedule itself -- that way it'll either
do nothing, or Save as Package or Save as Newtworks when it's all done [and
if it fails earlier, it wouldn't save package]

> In a similar vein, I've been playing with a generic scheduler
> that would fire off bits of NewtonScript to do things like this. It will
> use NewtsCapes getURL() to grab a web site as a package. However, when
> the alarm fires it displays the normal user internet setup form.
> Likewise, if a book with the same ISBN exists, it will display the form
> asking the user if they want to replace it. Is there any way I can tell
> NewtsCape which internet setup to use?

autologin pref could be used to automatically login using the
current(default) NIE setup; (Schedule allows user to specify a specific NIE
setup; though this isn't setup as a preference or API variable)

if you're writing NewtonScript anyway, perhaps easiest if you just called
InetSetDefaultLinkID with the setup id (integer) that you'd like to use.
then subsequent Newt's Cape call would just use that already open
connection.

>Can I also tell it to overwrite
> an existing book without asking the user?

set noConfirm slot in options frame to true

> This all might seem a tad critical, but I really do think
> NewtsCape is the best thing since sliced cheese... ;-)

that's a good thing, right? ;-)

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com