Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Card troubles

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 09:56:45 EST

On 05/03/02 09:40, "John Goggan" <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:

> "eric a . Farris" wrote:
>> i've got a 3Com/Megahertz ethernet card (3CCE589ET)
>> When i insert the card, it is properly
>> recognized by the Newton, ... after a few seconds,
>> though, the lights go out, and the connection drops.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something (I admit that not going back and re-reading the
> original, sorry)... But my cards (a Farallon and a D-Link DE-660) both do
> this normally...
>
> I put the card in and the connection light on the card immediately comes on.
> I get the "Enet PC Card" box asking me if I want AppleTalk (which I don't).
> If I just let it sit at that dialog box for a few seconds -- or if I tap the X
> -- the light on the card goes out. It never stays on for me. Isn't this
> normal behavior?

I don't know. On my Farallon PN895, there is no light on the card, only on
the cable connector, a small little green (!) LED. So, since I don't think I
ever tried to insert the card with the cable connected, I decided to give it
a go with the little 3 ways hub that Farallon provides. Lo and behold,
immediately after I stick the card in, the light on the hub comes on. So,
you are apparently right, at least for the Farallon cards.

-Laurent.

Evil Empire n.: [from Ronald Reagan's famous characterization of the
communist Soviet Union] Formerly IBM,now Microsoft. Functionally, the
company most hackers love to hate at any given time. Hackers like to see
themselves as romantic rebels against the Evil Empire, and frequently adopt
this role to the point of ascribing rather more power and malice to the
Empire than it actually has. See also Borg and search for Evil Empire pages
on the Web.