Re: [NTLK] Macintosh Help!

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 18:17:38 EST

on 09/03/02 15:34, Stephen Jendraszak at stevehj_at_mac.com wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>> I'm forced to disagree. System 9.1 (the latest you can run on this
>> system) is actually faster than versions of 8. They got rid of a lot of
>> underlying useless code that had gotten left behind in various updates.
>> Plus, having a 7500 (which I use at work, BTW) is a great machine
>> because
>> it is so upgradable. I suggest finding an upgrade on eBay for cheap.
>> An
>> old Newer card may only set you back under $100 but can seriouslly
>> improve speed. Go for a G3 if you can find it.
>>

>> Mark Ross
>> markr13_at_comcast.net
>
> I'm with Sushi on this. I have run 9 on a PowerMac 6100 and a PowerBook
> 5300ce (117 mHz 603e). In fact, I still own the PowerBook. OS 8.1 is the
> best thing to run on it... speeds things up significantly. It uses
> vastly less RAM, takes up less of my limited hard drive space, doesn't
> hit virtual memory constantly... it's just faster. However, I must admit
> that inspite of this, I am running OS 9 on the PowerBook, because it
> networks more simply with OS X on other Macs I work with.

Don't forget that OS 9 is the OS that is the most "native" of them all. 8.1
and 8.6 still have significant portions that are written for 68K, which
means a trip to the emulator every now and then...

-Laurent.

evil and rude adj.: Both evil and rude, but with the additional connotation that the rudeness was due to malice rather than incompetence. Thus, for example: Microsoft's Windows NT is evil because it's a competent implementation of a bad design; it's rude because it's gratuitously incompatible with Unix in places where compatibility would have been as easy and effective to do; but it's evil and rude because the incompatibilities are apparently there not to fix design bugs in Unix but rather to lock hapless customers and developers into the Microsoft way. Hackish evil and rude is close to the mainstream sense of `evil'.