Re: [NTLK] UNNA packages & an introduction

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 23:16:27 EST

on 10/03/02 20:18, Adrian Smith at adrianslists_at_optushome.com.au wrote:

> What do people do in Mac OS X?
>
> .pkg is the extension used for installers that use the Apple
> installer engine and even when I use one of the convertors they don't
> seem to change...

In Mac OS X, the file type/creator are still used. The extensions are used
when no file type/creator is available. So, you can still differentiate
Newton packages from installer packages, but if you decide that extension
'pkg' is for installer packages, then all Newton packages that lost their
file type/creator (like many of those on UNNA) will appear as installer
packages.

-Laurent.

Brooks's Law prov.: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later" -- a result of the fact that the expected advantage from splitting development work among N programmers is O(N) (that is, proportional to N), but the complexity and communications cost associated with coordinating and then merging their work is O(N^2) (that is, proportional to the square of N). The quote is from Fred Brooks, a manager of IBM's OS/360 project and author of "The Mythical Man-Month" (Addison-Wesley, 1975, ISBN 0-201-00650-2), an excellent early book on software engineering.