Re: [NTLK] best pen for Newton - reprise

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 15:29:29 EST

On 11/03/02 15:14, "Darl Singh" <darl_at_xpress.net.nz> wrote:

> Following on from this topic a short while ago - a different take:
> I manage an Engineering shop and have 'converted' the rest of the Management
> team to Newts - 3x2000's and a 120.
> My Foreman broke the nib off his standard '2000 pen yesterday, so we went
> looking for alternatives: came up with 2.
> We machined a tip from ea material, fitted one to his pen, one to my backup
> (2x00 series) pen:
>
> UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene) - softer than PTFE, but not
> as nice a writing 'feel' IMO - tended to
> 'grab' a little. Phill liked it more tho - thought it felt more 'pencil-like'.
> PTFE ('Teflon' or one of a number of other tradenames) - much softer than the
> original pen tip (think this was PVC?) and
> smooooth to write with - actually a nicer feel than my Cross Digital-Writer: I
> am a convert!
>
> This is not a job for the 'home handyman' unless you have a lathe - but if you
> do, I _heartily_ recommend it: for the
> first time in about 4 years, my Digital Writer has been dumped from the pen
> silo with this mod replacing it.
>
> Email me direct if anyone wants the 'quick 'n dirty' instructions: this really
> is a very smooth, somewhat soft pen that
> has a better feel than (many of) the alternatives and has to be better on the
> screen than the original (usual caveats re
> cleanliness etc).

What about selling those PTFE?

-Laurent.

CLM /C-L-M/: [Sun: `Career Limiting Move'] 1. n. An action endangering one's
future prospects of getting plum projects and raises, and possibly one's
job: "His Halloween costume was a parody of his manager. He won the prize
for `best CLM'." 2. adj. Denotes extreme severity of a bug, discovered by a
customer and obviously missed earlier because of poor testing: "That's a CLM
bug!"