Re: [NTLK] I can't get netatalk talking

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 14:43:27 EST

On 13/03/02 14:22, "Karel Jansens" <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be> wrote:

> The card recognizes fine (it's a 3c589c, so I had no need for the
> 3c589.pkg). I reinstalled Newton internet just the way you described it
> here.
>
> My problem is that I want to use linux netatalk to print to my LaserJet
> 4. The procedure is explained in the howto:
>
> http://misf67.cern.ch/~reinhold/Newton/Newton_and_Linux-mini-HOWTO.html
>
> But whenever I select a network laserwriter on the Newton, I just get
> the slip saying that it's searching, and nothing more.
>
> I've tried virtually everything, short of using a sledge-hammer (and I'm
> getting pretty close to that stage now). I know there is some sort of
> network traffic going, because the lights flash and all, and I can ping
> myself on the linux box.
>
> Maybe I should install a terminal app on the Newt and see if I can get
> something from that...

It means that your Linux box is not advertising the printer, whether it
doesn't see it, or the netatalk isn't configured properly.

I doubt you would find anything using a terminal, since a terminal won't
show you anything related to AppleTalk. The best thing to use when you want
to discover AppleTalk nodes (printers) is still the browser that you get
when you select "Choose Network LaserWriter".

-Laurent.

code grinder n.: A suit-wearing minion of the sort hired in legion strength
by banks and insurance companies to implement payroll packages in RPG and
other such unspeakable horrors. In its native habitat, the code grinder
often removes the suit jacket to reveal an underplumage consisting of
button-down shirt (starch optional) and a tie. In times of dire stress, the
sleeves (if long) may be rolled up and the tie loosened about half an inch.
It seldom helps. The code grinder's milieu is about as far from hackerdom as
one can get and still touch a computer; the term connotes pity.