Re: [NTLK] New MP130

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 00:29:02 EST

on 3/13/02 9:58 PM, James Lopez at jimmlop_at_mac.com wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any maintenance type stuff I should do when
> I my MP30 arrives. Should I just start using it right out of package?
> Should I delete stuff, reset it, or is there some way to do some kind of
> diagnostic on it?

That would depend what you want. :-)

However, I will suggest something. First of all, when you get it, check it
out. It is possible that whoever is sending it to you has already wiped it
clean and fresh. You will know if, when you first turn it on, you are faced
with the intro screen. :-) If not, see what is installed on it. There may be
a lot of freeware and stuff. Also, go to the storage folder, and check the
soups to make sure they are empty. (names and dates are most important.) If
you find that the previous owner has left a lot of stuff on the Newton, then
you will probably want to wipe it and start fresh. If there is stuff you
want to keep, then I would recommend doing a backup of this Newton, and then
wipe it. After you have a clean Newton, you can then restore only those
items you want when you are installing your software. You may also want to
do some hardware tests. There is a program (definitely on UNNA, I would
suppose), called Nick's TestIt. You can run that.

That is about it. It depends on what you want. Oh, if you have your own
backup of another Newton, you may want to just wipe the Newt and restore.
This is what I did with my 130, when I upgraded from a 120.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland