[NTLK] I can't get netatalk talking - Oh yes I can...!

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 09:20:03 EST

Ladies and gentlemen,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that I can now use the capacities of
my LaserJet 4 to the full, using Linux and Ghostscript as my middlemen.

Nice 600 dpi PostScript printouts are positively streaming from my Newt and
amaze both friend and foe.

The trick was a minor change to my /etc/atalk/papd.conf file:
the line which read

        :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp:\

should have been

        :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr:\

which sends the spool to the default printer (and in my case, the only one).
It seems that SuSE 7.2 does not install a Plp-queue (which, funnily enough,
S.u.S.E. 5.3 did by default).

If there is anybody else with a SuSE box struggling with ethernet printing
(but I cannot imagine that there would be another living soul as stupid as
me), I'll be glad to give some pointers.

One problem remains, and I cannot explain it:

although netatalk announces itself as starting and running in the background
at bootup, I still have to activate it manually from a console (or X-term)
with the command

        /etc/rc.d/atalk start

followed by _at_least_ five instances of

        nbpklup

before all the netatalk services (AFPServer, netatalk, Workstation and
LaserWriter) announce their presence. Probably simply waiting for a minute or
so would have yielded the same result, but by now it should be well
understood that sitting still patiently is not one of my skills.

I can live with that, but I'm not sure if this does not bode further doom
down the road.

I would like to add one last comment about the Newton and Linux mini-howto:
the faq advises to reboot after every change to the config files of netatalk,
but I found that, on my box at least, a simple

        /etc/rc.d/atalk restart

would do just fine. Maybe this advise is for older kernels. As usual, YMMV.

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)