Re: [NTLK] I can't get netatalk talking - Oh yes I can...!

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 15:25:35 EST

On Thursday 14 March 2002 18:49, you wrote:
> >Ladies and gentlemen,
> >
> >It gives me great pleasure to announce that I can now use the capacities
> > of my LaserJet 4 to the full, using Linux and Ghostscript as my
> > middlemen.
>
> Frigging awesome!
>
> Now is there any way to do this under OSX/Darwin?

Isn't OSX basically BSD with sprinkles on?
Is there a GhostScript package for OSX?
Is it possible to spool GhostScript printout to a printer in OSX? (which
would be obvious, but some versions of GhostScript are actually only
GhostView equivalents, which let you view PostScript files, but lack the
necessary printer "drivers") (*)

> I would think that installing Netatalk would be redundant, wouldn't it? I
> have a HP Deskjet 940 that I'd love to be able to print to over Ethernet
> from the Newt.

I have _no_ idea how native AppleTalk works (and only a marginal grasp of
netatalk.

I would say that the most important thing is to find the OSX equivalent of
the papd.conf file in Linux, which is used to identify the bogus LaserWriter.

Once you've found that, your problems have merely started :^)

(*) I _still_ want GhostScript for the Newton. Somebody write it for me!
Right now!! :^)

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)