Re: [NTLK] WaveLAN card and Airport sucks batteries

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 10:30:53 EST

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> One note about the 5.5 and 8.5mb modes... IIRC, those are Lucent-specific
> and not part of 802.11b which defines 1, 2, and 11mb modes. So you'd really
> want to lock one at 2mb for compatible with third-party access points.

I don't think they're Lucent only. While these aren't the specs, they are
other commercial products that support those rates:

http://www.symbol.com/products/wireless/wireless_sp24_11mbps.html

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/03/02/802.11b_facts.html
(search for 5.5)

http://www.actiontec.com/products/broadband/80211bwap/80211bwap_specifications.html
(sorry for the long line, if it wraps, make it one)

Thanks,
Speedy2.